Skip to content

103 South Franklin

LOCATION: 103 South Franklin Street, Tampa, FL 33602

ARCHITECT:  Original Unknown, renovation by John Howey, FAIA

BUILT: 1910

SIZE: 8,000 SF 

ORIGINAL FUNCTION: Naval Supply Store

PHOTO CREDITS: Randy Van Duinen, Architectural Photographer

 

Originally, 103 South Franklin Street was a Naval Supply store for ships docking on the Hillsborough River back in the early 1900’s.  After the Naval shop, Canon Music Company occupied it.  Being that the load bearing brick and granite slab foundations were created for the heavy supplies, it made for a perfect piano shop because the grand pianos were also extremely heavy.  The 103 South Franklin Street building also had the oldest otis freight elevator in Tampa up until 2005.

After the Canon Music Company, Dean Redman Parks Interior Designers purchased the building in 1970.  They occupied the space until they sold it to Hattricks’ in 1995.  Hattricks still operates the main floor as a bar and grill.  The two floors above the bar are leased by Gould Evans Associate Architects and Qualawash.