Hyde Park Grammar School (Hyde Park Arts Center)

LOCATION: 705 Swann Avenue, Tampa

BUILT: 1889, moved to present site and altered in 1921

SIZE: 1,570 GSF

CURRENT USE: Art Center / Gallery Space

PHOTO CREDITS: John B. Gorrie School Archives

The Old Hyde Park Art Center, home of the Tampa Regional Artist, is housed in one of Tampa’s oldest wooden buildings. The building, in the Folk Victorian style, has been moved at least three times and has been significantly altered as the use of the building has changed. The building opened in September 1889 as the Hyde Park Grammar School (renamed John B. Gorrie Elementary School in 1915) and located on the corner of Platt and Magnolia. The building was relocated to a larger campus on North Boulevard in 1903 and served as both a lunchroom and community library.

In 1921, the building was relocated again to the current location on Swann Avenue and was extensively remodeled. During the 1921 relocation and remodeling, the right wing of the building was removed, a fireplace with exterior chimney was added, the open rafter-tails were removed, and the front porch was enclosed.  The building served as the Hyde Park Public Library from 1922 until 1968. Since 1968, the building has been the Old Hyde Park Art Center, exhibiting works of local artists from throughout the Tampa Bay area.   


You Missed