Saint Andrew’s Episcopal Church


LOCATION:
509 North Marion Street, Tampa, FL 33602

ARCHITECTS: Michael J. Miller & Francis J. Kennard

BUILT: 1904-1907

ARCHITECTURAL STYLE: Mediterranean Revival

PHOTO CREDITS: Randy Van Duienen, Architectural Photographer

 

St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church congregation was officially established on July 24, 1871.  Initially services were held at a hospital building at Fort Brooke.  In 1877 the congregation purchased the land where their church would be built for just $140.  A wood frame church was built on the site in 1883.

Construction on the church you see today started in 1904 and took three years to complete. The Mediterranean Revival style building was designed by the prominent local architecture firm of Michael J. Miller & Francis J. Kennard.  These architects also designed the Belleview Biltmore Hotel and other significant structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  Their design for St. Andrew’s incorporated several components from the original wooden church — Stained glass windows, communion rail and lectern.

As Tampa’s population, St. Andrew’s parish helped to establish St. John’s and St. Mary’s Episcopal congregations.

Recently, the church worked with local firm, Rojo Architecture to add a children’s chapel.

On April 15, 2009, the church building was added to the U.S. National Register of Historic Places (NRHP).